Pre-Departure Checklist for international travel to
save time and money
Congratulations on your selection to study abroad. Now is the time to reap the benefits of all the hard work you have put in to secure a seat in an international institution.
For first time travelers, this Pre-Departure checklist will not only help you to save time and money but will also help you from that last-moment panic situation
Pre-Departure Checklist for University requirements:
- University-specific letters like admits, aid, forms.
- Joining letter
- Copy of syllabus
- Immunization documents (if required by the university)
- Important contact numbers of fellow students and professors
- ID card (if received)
- Original mark sheets and certificates
- All attested mark sheets
- Original degree certificate
- Final year project report (if applicable)
- Recommendation letters (if any)
- GRE and TOEFL scorecard
Pre-Departure Checklist for Travel requirements
- Passport photocopy
- VISA photocopy
- Air Ticket
Pre-Departure Checklist for Electronic gadgets
- External Hard Drive Disk and Laptop: You can carry your old laptop and sell it for a new one after you land. It will save you money.
Many Universities have definite requirements for laptops. Make sure to check with your university before you decide to buy a new one.
- Adapters: The more the merrier, with extra pair of adapters you will always have the power to plug in any device you want
3. Plug Convertors: Carry a couple of these plugs to power the electronics anywhere you want.
Have a look at, 10 Affordable Places To Study Abroad In The World For Students
Pre-Departure Checklist for Pre-Departure requirements
- Make sure to check the validity of your Visa, It should be valid for an additional six months after your course finishes.
- Look out for updates from your university on a regular basis for requirements related to transcripts, language exam scores etc
- If you have not applied for the visa, it should be at least 3 months before your travel date
- Zero down your search for a comfortable accommodation, you do not want to land in a no man’s land. Choose from living on-campus, rented apartment or room, or family-stay.
- Pr e-book your airport to university transport service beforehand. You can arrange for the University to pick you from the airport if you have chosen to live on campus.
- Have your complete medical examination and vaccinations done well in time? Many countries require their visitors to get certain vaccinations or a medical examination before entering the country. Have a look at the country’s immigration website for the same.
- If you can afford it, book a travel insurance
- Read all the preparation emails sent by the university to you. They include necessary details that need to be followed before leaving for the journey.
- Activate your student account on the university website
- If you have not received your ID card, apply for it. You may have to email the admission department with your Name, Student Number, and Photo to get an ID card made.
- Enrol to attend academic induction session at your college
- Open a bank account with a local bank preferably the one that already has a branch on the campus
Pre-Departure Checklist for Money requirements
- Buy currency of the destination
- Deposit your tuition fee
- Deposit accommodation rent
- Shop for appropriate clothes, utensils etc. which may not be easily available abroad
- Pack your luggage appropriately
Pre-Departure Checklist for personal requirements
- Toiletries, Contact lenses, solutions, and/or feminine products
- Clothing as per the weather of the host country
- First- aid
- If you are staying with a family, carry a souvenir for the host family
- Umbrella for sun/rain
- Shoes- running, flip-flops and college wear.
- Extra money for emergencies
- Language dictionary
- Books related to your studies and interest.
Pre-Departure Checklist for medical requirements
- For Cold, Fever – Crocin Tablets
- Body Pain – Crocin Tablets
- Indigestion, Gastric Problems – Gelucil, Zinetac Tablets
- Throat Infection – Erythromycin Tablets
- Allergies – Avil .25 Tablets
- Vomiting – Avomine Tablets
- Tooth-Ache – Combiflam Tablets
- Cold, Headache – Amurtanjan, Crocin, Vicks Balms
- Stomach Pain – Cyclopam Tablets or syrup
- Sprain – Esgypyrin spray or ointment
Pre-Departure Checklist for luggage requirements
- Check-in bag dimensions should be less or equal to 158 cm (62 inches). Total weight should not exceed 23 kg (50 pounds). Check with your flight operator’s website for any changes before packing
- You can carry one hand baggage, one briefcase, laptop, and a purse. The maximum allowed weight of hand baggage is 5 to 10 kg.
- Use top-rated brands for suitcases like American Tourister, Samsonite, and VIP to avoid any wear and tear during travel